Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Competency 5: Library Literature

For this set of competencies I am going to be doing more database searching. I decided to come up with a new question.

Question is: I am a young adult librarian trying to come up with innovative ideas for YA programs. What are some current trends in young adult programs?

Initial Facets: Trends, Young Adult, Programs

Trends: movements(?)
Young Adult: Teenager, Youth
Program: Activity

*When I approached the thesaurus to get more ideas I was greeted with articles with more subject phrases than a list of recommended thesaurus terms.

Recommended terms:

Trends: Converging Trends, Library Trends
Young Adult: Young Adult Library Services, Youth
Programs: X

Ss1: (trends OR converging trends OR library Trends)AND (young adult* OR youth) AND (Programs)(All in Subject Field)

Results: 0

Ss2: (trends OR library Trends)AND (young adult* OR youth) AND (Programs)(All in Subject Field)

Results: 0


Ss3:(young adult) AND (Programs)(All in Subject Field)

Results: 87

*I'm not sure if it is user error or the database. But, when I greatly generalized the question I was able to not only get results, but 87. That's a lot, but not too many to peruse over. I did find some great results. Though I was looking specifically for "trends", maybe that is just a term that is not commonly used in this databases vocabulary? Also, there were a lot of articles on teen programs that involve cinema. I'm going to be presumptuous and say that maybe that is a current trend?

Osborne, C. (2009). Crafting Cheap and Successful Teen Programs. Young Adult Library Services, 8(1), 15-17. Retrieved February 23, 2010, from Library Lit & Inf Full Text database.

Alessio, A. (2007). Teen Summer Reading (and Gaming and Acting and Knitting...). Illinois Library Association Reporter, 25(2), 31. Retrieved February 23, 2010, from Library Lit & Inf Full Text database.

No comments:

Post a Comment